The keto way of eating can be decadent with flavourful ingredients covered in full-fat creamy sauces and tongue tantalising garnishes… mmm! Fat is a wonderfully versatile flavour enhancer and when you consume enough, it’s totally filling, too.
Remember that we replace the carbs on our plate with healthy fats, the two go hand-in-hand for providing amazing health benefits and to keep you satiated. Leave the fat fear in the past, where it belongs and balance your food intake with lots of healthy natural fat so you feel satiated and satisfied after meals and keep the snacking at bay.
This can be daunting for those who aren’t familiar with eating lots of fat, or actually fear the fat! Well, fasten your seatbelt and get ready for a new luscious take on deliciousness!
Here are our 8 top tips on ways you can start eating more healthy fats:
1. Get “whole-fat” and “full-fat” back on your shopping list: time to remove low-fat, reduced-fat and fat-free from your radar, any products with the dreaded labels ‘light’ and ‘lite’, forget about non-fat and 0% fat dairy, artificial creamers, the lot! Which are so far removed from their natural food sources. Rejig your shopping list and get your kitchen stocked up with real, nutrient-dense, fat-rich whole foods like eggs, avocados, real butter and an array of delightful oils (olive, avocado, coconut, MCT). Embrace fatty and flavourful meats, steak, bacon, pork rinds, oily fish like sardines and salmon, some dairy (if tolerated), nuts and seeds.
2. Use fat for cooking: no more water sautéd vegetables and dry chicken pieces. Use an abundance of tasty and healthy fats like real butter, ghee, beef tallow, coconut oil are all great options.
3. Take advantage of the diverse flavours that different fats have to offer: Comforting buttery roasted vegetables, coconut creamed spinach, peppery olive oil salads with parmesan cheese and try Asian-inspired stir-fry dishes coated in sesame oil. Stock a few of these healthy fat options in your kitchen and experiment with different combinations to find out what you prefer: animal fats like real butter; duck-fat, tallow and lard; plant-based oils such as coconut, avocado, olive; and other nut and seed oils like, almond, macadamia, pumpkin, sesame, etc.
4. Pre-prep & cook low-carb meals: we have a delicious and extensive recipe archive here at Easy Keto Lifestyle, with lots of healthy fats built into the ingredients list for your convenience.
5. Ensure snacks contain fat: although it’s preferable to avoid snacks to let your digestive system rest between meals (this becomes all the more easy to do once you’ve got your new-found fat-burning bod in action). However, for now, if you are too hungry to make it to your next meal comfortably, choose a real-food fat-filled snack option. Quick grab & go ideas include hard boiled eggs, nuts, hard cheeses or homemade snack options such as, guacamole with olive oil, salt, chilli flakes, coriander and fresh lime juice. Dip those pork rinds or enjoy them with homemade keto mayonnaise.
6. High-fat garnishes to add extra substance: avocado, olives, cured meat, nuts and seeds. These natural and real food toppings make a great double whammy addition of flavour and body-loving nutrients and can be sprinkled on a variety of dishes. Here’s some ideas you can play with:
- smashed chilli guacamole | cubed avocado
- chunks of blue cheese | shredded parmesan | grated cheddar
- ground sausage | chopped bacon | diced pancetta
- spiced walnuts | slivered almonds | flaked coconut | chopped macadamia nuts
- crumbled feta | smoked gouda | balls of buffalo mozzarella
- sautéed pine nuts | pumpkin seeds | toasted sesame seeds
- melted gruyere | grilled halloumi | baked brie
- diced black olives | tapenade | green olives stuffed with peppers or garlic
7. Blend real butter and/or coconut or MCT oil into your morning brew: a super easy and speedy (and delicious!) way to up your fat intake through drinking Bulletproof coffee or different types of tea. It makes a great breakfast on-the-go or a fab mid-afternoon pick-me-up keeping you satiated between meals!
8. Finish with a whole-food fat bomb dessert: again, it’s preferable to pass on dessert but you know, we are only human! So if you want to have a sweet treat, check out our fat-filled dessert recipes. We’ve got some great, natural and nutrient-dense recipes to help satisfy your sweet tooth whilst keeping you in ketosis, and continue your weight loss journey, healthily.